al anon quotes about acceptance

She replied: Just keep doing what youre doing. What I was doing was going to Al-Anon meetings and becoming less critical and more accepting of her as an individual. Attempting half measures to eliminate these defects merely paralyzes my efforts to change. Fixing, Im saying that they are broken, In regards to these hard times, many of them happened when I had been in the program and God was loving me the way he does now. I opened a blank Word doc and typed the Serenity Prayer, over and over. You can replace negative thinking/behaviour with positive, healthy responses. The program has taught me that I can give in, I can admit I am helpless, and that I am powerless. As I kept coming back, I heard members comment about my Sponsor in their shares. I repeat it over and over focusing on changing myself and accepting what I cant change-other people, places, and things. One amazing exercise that is very beneficial is to meditate on the Serenity Prayer, word by word, for about fifteen minutes total. The index in the back of these daily readers are extremely helpful to me. We seek to make our Higher Power a constant companion, turning to the God of our understanding for guidance and spiritual nourishment throughout the day and night., We actively pursue this goal when we say a prayer before answering the phone or take a moment to listen for that still small voice inside us before making a decision, even a minor decision. That would probably take a whole lifetime. I cant control their choices, their perceptions, their decisions, or the consequences of their actions. In the end, it's important to remember that disease acceptance does not mean that you have to like it, condone it, or even ignore it. 2. I was in a hurry to get this healing process over. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email feedback@therecoveryshow.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Required fields are marked *. Angry endobj As God's people we stand on our feet; we don't crawl before anyone., If we were to live, we had to be free of anger., I simply had to believe in a Spirit of the Universe, who knew neither time nor limitation., To be vital, faith must be accompanied by self sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action., It is very difficult for me to come to terms with my spiritual illness because of my great pride, disguised by my material successes and my intellectual power. Al-Anon Family Groups, Courage to Change-One Day at a Time in AlAnon II: Part 1 6 likes Like "We are asked to forgive those who have injured us. You will find a whole new experience with it! I want to use this help in making all my decisions. AlAnon does not offer counseling or advice. Quotes are added by the Goodreads community and are not verified by Goodreads. By Barbara S., Kansas. Addiction rips families apart but detachment learned in 12 step recovery can be a lifesaver! Mark H.s book: A Twelve Step Journey to Self-Transformation, Larcene and Mary Pearl Al Anon Speakers The Answer is Acceptance. Anger is Just One Letter Short Of Danger. Tradition One and "Principles above Personalities" helps me accept people. Would I rather be Right or would I rather be HAPPY. The Serenity Prayer is the best tool for me. Northern California World Service Area of AFG, Inc. www.ncwsa.org. How has Al-Anon helped you, as a child of an alcoholic, grow up? Live At Peace With Ourselves And Others, 28. Keep it simple is my favorite Al-Anon Slogans in a Poem - By Coach Papa Slogans in a Poem by Coach Papa First Things First - I have heard it said - Be Honest With yourself, - get out of your head - You can Feel Good -About Saying "No" - Keep Coming Back to - Talk And Grow - Easy Does It - sounds real nice - If you Keep It Simple - you don't roll the dice - Live And Let Live - Brings it back to you - They're in recovery, - you are, too - What's to Be will Be - So, Let Go & Let God - Just wait and see - That one Day At A Time - Is more than a phrase - In Al-Anon, - it's the phrase that pays - Think! Kate 3 years ago Admitting I am powerless and recognizing that each person has their own Higher Power helps me accept troubling situations. Courage to Change Page 153 Any time I am in resentment, I am not taking care of myself. The chapter was written by Dr. Paul Ohliger, who died Friday, May 19, 2000, in Mission Viejo, California at the age of 83. When I feel I've bottomed out They also said Keep coming back, but it was the 1st statement that made me want to come back. It's from the 4th edition of Alcoholics Anonymousor The Big Book as it is widely known. Lewis: Denial is the shock absorber for the soul. Any time I am in resentment, I am not taking care of myself. The higher the expectations, the lower the serenity. When we point a finger at someone, three are pointing back at us. All comments enter moderation, which may take up to ten business days. 4 Ms = martyrdom, manipulating, managing and mothering I was so upset it was the middle of a 3 hour meeting and I didnt know quite what to do. I learned acceptance when I heard the phrase stop taking other peoples inventories at a meeting. Morning prayers may not provide all of the spiritual sustenance we need for the entire day any more than a mid-morning snack will satisfy all of our nutritional needs. When I have a feeling, I lean into it and look at the idea behind the feeling. We become much more efficient. Where possible fill the void with Gods love. Don't get too: While these loved ones may not meet our expectations, it is our expectations, not our loved ones, that have let us down., Sometimes the only way I can determine whether Im trying to control someone else or whether Im simply expressing my feelings is by noticing how many times I say the same thing. www.phonemeetings.org I soon realized, this was an Al-Anon tool I needed to explore. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves., To this day, I am amazed at how many of my problems - most of which had nothing to do with drinking, I believed - have become manageable or have simply disappeared since I quit drinking., We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts cannot be the sole aim of our lives., one of the primary differences between alcoholics and nonalcoholics is that nonalcoholics change their behavior to meet their goals and alcoholics change their goals to meet their behaviors., Definition of an alcoholic is an egomaniac with an inferiority complex, We sometimes hurt those we love because they need to be taught a lesson, when we really want to punish. This is self care, we learn to let go of burdens we were never meant to carry. Al-Anon Dial-In Meetings. Nothing exists in a vacuum therefore if you remove something you need to put something else in it's place. Intelligent, What was the first Al-Anon tool/slogan you latched onto as a newcomer? - In time, you will understand - It's true, we're all different, - But, together we can make it - If you feel that you can't, - Then, once again, fake it - When you let it begin with me - The fog will raise, - the sun will shine - Your eyes will see - Slogans are there - For you to use - Say one every day - So you don't sing the blues - It works when you work it - We say and it's true - We're all here to help - But your recovery is up to you. Let Go and Let God 15. Al-Anon is designed to help spouses, parents, siblings, and other family members, while Alateen is geared specifically toward younger people living with an alcoholic. It is a sign of spiritual health to be able to ask God every day to enlighten me, to recognize His will, and to have the strength to execute it. endobj God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and help me to see the good in the other person.Read more , My job offers many opportunities for me to practice acceptance. Even. This didnt sit well with me before the program. When I admitted that there were people, places, things, and situations over which I was totally powerless, those things began to lose their power over me. MyRead more , Accepting means to be clear minded about what is happening and, then decide what I will do about it. Anger can be constructive in telling me that someone else is stepping on some boundaries that I need to enforce. You may 'slip' from time to time but thats ok, it's a process and it's about progress not perfection. Kindness I like to treat myself with a Grandmothers heart. My sister is sixteen years older than me and she was like a mother to me, someone that I could always count on. Should Your email address will not be published. And if I Keep It Simple Many of us have wasted a lot of time doing that and it doesnt work. If you think of what you want for another as something you cant be okay without its an addiction. Taking document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Your email address will not be published. Through professional counseling or therapy (either individual, group, or both), a person can learn to recognize these maladaptive emotional coping strategies and where they originated from (for example, through exploring unconscious childhood memories). On the other handand strange as this may seem to those who do not understandonce a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules., Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence., Being a little kinder, a little slower to anger, a little more loving makes my life betterday by day., Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation., Wed love your help. 2011;33(4):356-70. (2022). I WILL STRETCH & STRENGTHEN MY BEAUTIFUL BODY. Dont do it, I said to myself. I thought all these things made me a weak person. If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always gotten. Honest. One Day At A Time. Content is reviewed before publication and upon substantial updates. Never let me imagine that my satisfaction with life depends on what someone else may do (ODAT in Al-Anon pg234) It helped me see how critical I was of my alcoholic and how my criticism was an attempt to change him. I know I am powerless over alcoholism and that has empowered me. The acceptance, and the power of God, kept me going through all of this. Verywell Mind uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. As she accepted me and loved me unconditionally, I learned to accept and love myself. THINK: is it? Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. It was as if I reached over and grabbed their rollercoaster and got thrown around as it went through its motions. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.

Berkeley Grimball Obituary, Articles A

al anon quotes about acceptance